Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Close-bus syndrome

One of my favorite blogs at the moment is Very Smart Brothas.  They have a very amusing view of the dating world, pop culture, and random happenings in the world; especially black culture.  One of my favorite articles is about "close-bus syndrome".  Its an unfortunate situation that I figured out I'm in right now.  Granted, I'm not in a relationship or close to one but I know that I am in this category.  The CBS occurs when you are waiting for a bus but the one that you want is running late or hasn't come yet.  So, you decide to take the bus that will get you close enough to your final destination instead of waiting for the right one.  Its a temporary inconvenience that you rather endure than just waiting.  I'm working on the "waiting" part but I know that with the last few guys I've gotten to know, I've been the close bus.  However, I was doing the same thing to them.  I keep finding myself not taking a risk on anyone because I think that someone better is right around the corner.  Maybe he is but he might be standing in front of me and I'm too distracted to take notice.  All I want is a dryer.  Ha!

Anyway, I feel that I can apply this to my weight loss journey as well.  I keep hoping that the big loss will come immediately and I will reap the benefits but I had to take a minute and think about that today.  At this time last year, I was getting ready for the reduction surgery and daydreaming about how great my life is going to be with smaller boobs.  I will be able to run!  Swim!  Wear strapless dresses!  Only wear one bra!  Lose 25lbs instantly!  I was so excited that I completely overestimated the results.  Now don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with how everything turned out but my physique hasn't changed that much.  Instead of losing 25lbs I have lost roughly 15lbs.  I have had to learn how to lower my expectations because my goals were too unrealistic in a short time frame.  And at times I feel like I have taken the close bus because I didn't reach my goals fast enough.  "This is good enough" is not the best frame of mind to have at the beginning of this journey and now that I think about it, I feel like getting off the close bus now.

Erykah Badu:  Window Seat

P.S.  Amazingly, I finished today at 29 points!  Progresso Light Chicken Soup is the best and instead of walking, I'm going salsa dancing.  Yessss.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. soup is horrible. i hate soup. good for you for finding a great soup.

    i love VSB too! they have a couple of threads like "questions white people want to ask white people" and vice versa. hilarious! i have to check out the close-bus theory though.

    ReplyDelete