Monday, October 25, 2010

Get Outta My Way!

Ah!  Great Monday that followed a spectacular weekend.  It kind of makes starting a new work week a million times better.  This is going to be an interesting week because MY BIRTHDAY IS COMING!  Woo!  I'm excited!  I managed to survive the weekend food wise but alcohol consumption is slowing my progress by a lot.  I need to steady the pace but this week was an anomoly.  I went out Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights.  However, I did manage to lose .4lbs at my last weigh in so I need to keep up the pace.

Which brings up my topic for today:  get out of the way.  With the last few days upon me as 25, I've reflected over what has happened over the past year and I have to say that I am truly amazed.  It has been one heck of a year but I find myself being really hard on myself.  That has been the topic of several phone conversations this weekend with friends and family.  So, my first step was to put up a real profile picture of me.  I have a bad habit of putting up ridiculous photos or pictures that have nothing to do with my face because I feel awkward.  I know I'm not butt ugly but I don't know.  My self esteem lacks in certain physical and mental areas.  Speaking of mental shortcomings!  I went to a women's seminar today and they stressed the importance of getting over the "imposter syndrome".  This happens when you think that you have to do everything right before people discover that your an imposter.  It floored me that every lady (there were about 60) in that room had the imposter syndrome.  Even people that I want as mentors!  It just reminds me that having the right frame of mind and attitude can do wonders.  Once you step out of your own way, you will be amazed at what happens in your career.  


So with this parting word, I decided that year 26 is going to be the year of service.  Service to myself, friends, family and the community.  I'm going to start tutoring next week (once I get a student) and volunteering at the local United Cerebral Palsy center.  I must keep up the weight loss and open the blog to more people (after cleaning up the format).  Being more involved in my friends lives and keeping in touch with family more.  These are some lofty goals but I know that I can do it once I get out of the way!  Ha!

1 comment:

  1. crazy! we just had a session on the "imposter syndrome" at the last black grad assoc meeting. it is truly an eye opener...

    ReplyDelete